After two weeks of frustration with my mesh body, a problem that had me tearing my hair out, I found a solution. It’s not perfect, but it’ll have to do.
The problem appears to be with the Firestorm viewer. I installed both the Alchemy viewer, and the official Linden Labs one, and both work perfectly. Firestorm has long been my viewer of choice, and it continues to work perfectly well with ‘classic’ avatars, but the instant I put the mesh body on, problems arise. The thing is, I’ve never liked the official viewer, right from the day I learned of third party viewers, and dumped the official one. I simply don’t like the controls layout on it, whereas Firestorm had a more natural ‘feel’ to the layout.
So I’m now on the official one, hating it 🙂 but at least back in SL looking complete. Now, if you’ll forgive me, there’s lost time to be made up 🙂 so I’m off to struggle with the controls, and shall abandon Firestorm until their next update and see if the mesh issue is resolved.